Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wreaths and Red bows

Preparation for Christmas has begun, lights and red bows decorate doors in welcoming attire. I have made two attempts to bring wreaths to the grave sites on two separate occasions, both of these efforts failed due to my lack of directional skills and unavailability of an in car map quest, gps system...hint here for Christmas gift, family. My last trip was to my husbands grave. Without any problem the wreath was placed upon the headstone and its red bow waved thank you gently in the December air. Walking back toward my car a woman approached me with sincere compliments on the seasonal appearance. In no time at all we shared our stories hugged and parted.Suddenly it occurred to me that my previous attempts were no accident and it was meant for me to give this woman a wreath for her husbands grave. Why do we cling to those now passed and inadvertently manage to over look the pain and bereavement of the living who stand right before us?

Doreen and I continued to share our losses as we walked together to her husbands grave site. Once there I was introduced to her brother and mother.Doreen was quite specific telling me how she wanted the wreath placed and I went to work. Her brother looked astonished at our interaction and asked if we knew each other? No. I replied while continuing to string the wreath according to Doreen's wishes. Doreen supplied more detail of our meeting and bonding of widowhood to her brother easing his appearance of dismay.

This incident was heart warming. Two women met as strangers and parted as friends. I glanced upon my husbands grave fully decorated and smiled for the first time. I knew that he approved of this sharing moment between strangers.

Something larger than a wreath and a bow was shared between strangers. Something kind and loving and deeply spiritual took place. Hugs and waves followed me as I drove away and I know the spirit of Christmas was found in a most unexpected way.

5 comments:

Charlene Amsden said...

What a beautiful telling of a beautiful encounter. You may have been the only person in the vicinity who knew exactly what your new friend was going through and how to offer real comfort.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It was God's Plan for you to be there to help and comfort your new friend. Be Strong Pauline, God's Angels were with you when you were at the Cemetery.

Blessings my Friend, Hugs from Calgary

Nessa said...

Now it feels like Christmas. Beautiful story.

twilite said...

Hi Pauline! Indeed the spirit of Christmas is the spirit of love when God sent His son to mankind. Whether one believes in Jesus or not, somehow this festive season is a season of Love. May you be filled with many more heartwarming experiences in days forthcoming... strangers we first met friends we become...amen.

gP said...

pauline, i thank god i came here to read this. it will be added to my collection, in my travels to change myself, to see who I really am. the moment, and your words give hope to the spirit of humanity, to the ability of us to connect justly, and to tell us that there is love, the purest form in our hearts.

hugs and love, my dearest friend. have a great holiday season.